Monday, December 1, 2008

Bad Word of Mouth Gets More Airplay

If you've followed this blog, you will remember that I had an issue with Sears over the last month over a purchase and delivery of a mattress and box springs. We finally got the issue resolved over the weekend with Sears coming to pick up their merchandise and my Sears charge card being credited.

How does this impact your business you may be asking?

The overarching implications are huge.

Do you realize that NEGATIVE "word of mouth" advertising gets more airplay than POSITIVE "word of mouth?"

Over the years, I've talked with advertiser after advertiser who says "word of mouth" works best for them. Not if it's this kind of "word of mouth." And the problem is many businesses don't realize how infectious a strain of NEGATIVE "word of mouth" can be to their overall business health.

You need to have an ongoing advertising campaign to combat NEGATIVE "word of mouth" advertising.

Let's face it, even the best companies drop the ball now and then. What are you doing to make sure that your one "OOPS" doesn't act like a cancer on your company?

I can't tell you how many people I've told my Sears horror story. Now I've done business with Sears for years with no problems but I haven't been telling everybody about how wonderfully Sears delivered my Craftsman mower. There is a BIG difference between positive and negative "word of mouth." Negative gets lots more airply than positive.

Now do you see why NEGATIVE "word of mouth" is so dangerous.

With radio you get the power of "word of mouth," the spoken word. And YOU have control over what is said and how often it is said. That's the power of radio!

If you're wondering how you can turn the tide on some NEGATIVE "word of mouth," just give me a call and we can get together to talk strategy.

No comments: